Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Favorite Movie of all Time: The Lord of the Rings


"I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

Recently, Brittany, Raleigh, Brooke and I have started to watch the Lord of the Rings movies. Brittany has never seen these amazing films and we set out to show her what she was missing. She actually loves it so far, that’s how awesome my wife is. It didn’t surprise me though, since she liked movies like Harry Potter and shows like Game of Thrones.

Why have these movies become my favorites? I honestly have to say the characters. There are so many wonderful characters that you follow with multiple different storylines that all lead to the same thing. The fellowship has sworn to protect little Frodo Baggins as he treks across the world of Middle-Earth, defending against orcs and evil wizards. Who would not like this? Well, most women and men with letterman jackets, that’s who. But that isn’t surprising.

Any ways, the characters and story just leave me wanting more when the story finally concludes. Frodo, Sam, Pyp and Merry all hit special heartstrings throughout the conquest. The slow transformation from happy-go-lucky Frodo to dark-ring-possessed hobbit is one of the saddest stories in the series. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli all bring the hardcore moments, namely Legolas who has to be the coolest of all the characters. Then, there is Gandalf, the wonderfully powerful wizard who takes on a Balrog head on screaming one of the most recognizable quotes in movie history, “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!”

Oh man, just got goose bumps.

In just about everything I watch I need great characters that I care about. Lord of the Rings is by far one of the strongest showings of characters in anything I’ve ever followed. The journey to Mordor is one of the most compelling stories told and Legolas taking out orcs with his bow made me stand up and cheer.

If you haven’t watched The Lord of the Rings yet, please take a night to try out the first movie. I know it’s not for everyone but it is definitely worth giving a try. 

1 comment:

  1. "Talking trees! What do trees have to talk about? Except for the consistency of squirrel droppings."

    ReplyDelete