Friday, July 27, 2012

Big News: Robert Griffin III

Robert Griffin III, or RG3 as media calls him, has officially signed with the Washington Redskins last week. He has fallen under that same old caption that other new quarterbacks or free agents get tagged with when they come to D.C. Expectations are always high to bring this team back to its glory days.

That's right, there was a time when the Redskins WERE ACTUALLY GOOD! I don't remember it, because I was too young. They've won 3 Super Bowls, the most recent one being in 1991. I was...5. Since that time over 20 years ago, they've barely made it to the playoffs...hell they've barely had a winning record.

Each off season they seemed to have brought in the savior, the one that will bring them back to Super Bowl contenders. Names such as Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Heath Shuler and Patrick Ramsey make me cringe, remembering not only how much they disappointed but how much I gave into the hype of these players.

But there is something different about this kid. This guy is not only a mobile quarterback like McNabb but he tries to throws the ball first...he also has a wonderful arm. He isn't arrogant, cocky and selfish like Albert Haynesworth or Deion Sanders, he knows this is a team sport and he put his Baylor teammates before him many times in his college career. He is also a very likable kid, he has a great personality that has got him on the Jay Leno show twice and commercials with Subway, Adidas and Gatoraid...all before he throws his first NFL pass.

The hype going into this season with a kid like RG3 under center is making fans go crazy. Super Bowl chants have begun, even before preseason. He is the second coming of Jesus to Redskins fans...Listen, I'm not going to buy into the hype this time around. I'm going to let his NFL play get me excited. Or at least, that's what I'm trying to do. It's hard when I see him on three different commercials and he is saying all the right things leading up to camp. I mean, he wears crazy Superman socks (to the right) saying that he is only the cape, leading his team, who are the real Supermen where they need to be. He really puts his team before himself, and that is a big change in most of those names I listed above.

Robert, play as well as you are "playing" this offseason, and I'm going to worship you as most Redskins fans have already started doing. But, I've been burnt so many times by Redskins' "Saviors" that I hope you don't blame me for being a bit cautious to jump on the ship just yet. I'm expecting big things, big things like you did in College last year (below), show me that and I'm all in.

1 comment: